Wednesday, May 8, 2013

APRIL IN A NUT SHELL

I can't believe I am writing my training summary for April... where the heck did the month go??  It's a bit of blurr...

The month started off with my first race of the year - Diez Vista 50km.  I pushed through a day where I wasn't feeling 100% and finished really happy with my overall outcome on such a challenging, technical course and rainy day.  Aside from the 'race' itself, the weekend was spent with my best friend a.k.a. my husband, a whole slew of PACE friends and people I have meet through the running community.  I made some awesome memories that I put in my "memory jar" and was able to check off my first race since last fall.  Yea!!

It took me about 3 weeks to recover from Diez Vista.  My back tightened up and took a lot of extra energy out of me and held me back from doing more.  It's okay though.  I know I just need to listen to my body.  It is hard coming off a strong race and sitting back instead of trying to build more but patience will pay off.  I am really grateful for Dr. David Urness of Valleyview Chiropractic and Evano Massini of M-Power for helping me work through it. 

I added back in my home yoga practice a few days a week and really focused on body rolling (lacrosse ball is my favorite) and getting more sleep the first few weeks.  I tried to build back into a 6 day running week but it wasn't feeling the best so I added in a few days of road / MTB riding.

I have been consistent with using Udos Oil and my favorite products from Flora Health.  Work has been very busy and I have additional stress going on around my step mom's illness which seems to effect me differently as the weeks go on and as she seems to be getting sicker.

Managing my time around family, two jobs and volunteer work sometimes means I just have to let go of the little things and focus on the bigger picture.  And this means letting go of some of my training time and/or not beating myself up if a speed session turns into an easy run or I have to cut a session short.  Knowing how sick Mary is helps me remember on a daily basis that it's the small things in life that matter most.

So with that, here are my stats for April.  Pretty mellow but feeling grateful that I fit in as much as I did with so much on my plate these days :)


Quick Summary (Running only)
180km
7500m ascent/descent
19 sessions (averaged 5 runs per week)

 


No comments:

Post a Comment