Monday, August 18, 2014

The Alps are Calling! Listen Within...

Just a wee follow up to my last blog post about my big ol' dance move injury...

Long story short, I have decided to give TAR a go this year.  Again, I am not naïve to the fact that me finishing may take a bit of miracle... but I am not afraid of a DNF, nor will my life crumble into pieces if I have to pull out.  My approach is practical.  Grounded and open minded.  My love for this race and the Alps is so deep even 1 or 2 days in the Alps is better than zippolah.  


There were many factors that came into play in my decision making process.  Ultimately it came down to my rehab progressions and the incredible team of professionals I worked with who helped me. And I feel very fortunate to have such a supportive and understanding running partner and husband who are equally a big part of this journey too.

I want Carrie to have the opportunity to finish, even if I can't.  She has worked hard at her training and deserves the chance to give it her best shot.   


My hubby. He is excited to ride his face off in Germany, Austria and Italy while we run. He has been training all summer for this. It's not a race. Just a dude who loves to ride his bike, drink quality espresso and zippity do-Dah through the Alps in his own fashion. (Which for him means as much climbing as he can fit in a day.  Have seen some of the passes in these neck of the woods?)


I also have a job to do this year.  I am representing the race as the Canadian Media Liason and I will be reporting back to my fellow Canadians and media outlets on the day-to-day process of this stage race.  Not to mention I am excited to write an article for TrailRunning Canada upon my return.

You see... uncertainty is one of the best parts of racing.  Not knowing the outcome often contributes to the good ol' pit of anxiety going into a race but if we already knew, it wouldn't be as exciting or as rewarding.  

I am outside of my comfort zone with this injury but it's okay. It reminds me I am growing and learning and living.  Maybe this is part of something bigger for me.  Not necessarily from a success perspective but deeper than that.  More personal. 


Ah, heck!  Life is good!  I am off to Europe for my 4th year in a row and will be running with a very close friend, have my hubby along with me and we will be in an environment that is one of the most beautiful in the world. I let go of my fear of the unknown and just trust in the process of life. I have done my best to rehab and prepare my hip and well... Ya never know!  We will all have to wait and see how it unfolds.  At the very least... I can predict I will enjoy the cheese, gelato, beer, wine... the same no matter what happens on the run!

Off to make memories...




No comments:

Post a Comment