Sunday, January 29, 2012

Motivation and Meatballs

Some things are so good they just have to be shared!  I had the type of week where there were some things I think are worth sharing...  from overcoming a week of very low motivation to an amazing meatball recipe I improvised!

First off, this was a rest week for me and although I found myself feeling ready for it, rest weeks always make me feel more tired. So it was somewhat challenging staying motivated this week. 

Classes at Global went well and I loved having our Get it Back team in my Tuesday Body Power class.  We also had a fantastic workout with our team Thursday morning at Global Fitness in the cage.  And I was so proud of them for all coming back to the club Thursday night for the obstacle course.  It was an exciting and high-energy night!  Sarah met me at Global so we could squeeze in a run together and it ended up being the best way to break up my 12hr work day.

Wednesday's PACE run was great!  I just loved observing how much fun everyone has and all the smiles and laughter that fills the PACE scene.  Plus, it dawned on me that all the hours and miles I spent running with Sarah last year not one of those runs were on the road.  So this was officially our first road run together... yea - maybe a bit too cheesy for some, I get it.

Friday I was determined to take the 'day' off.  It felt like a long time since I just putzed in the house and detached from anything fitness related ;)  It put into perspective just how busy I am these days... so I stayed in my PJ's until 4pm when I started to gear up for Spoovie Night.  After a great 2hr spin we went to Original Joe's for a beer and dinner.  Again, feeling fortunate for the good friends I have in my life...

Saturday was all about Carter!!  He had a ski race (3km loppet) at Telemark.  He woke up in the morning and wasn't feeling 100%.  He said he still wanted to do the race though.  When we got up to the hill he checked in with his coach about being torn to do the race and not feeling well.  They talked about it and decided he should give it a go.  Well, we had some tears right before the race and cold, cold fingers :(  Carter did his best and finished the race... but our poor little guy had super low energy and just wasn't himself..
So we went home right after his event and he was on the couch for the rest of the day.  Poor guy missed one of his best friends sleepover birthday at Big White too :( 

My run on Saturday was short and it took a lot to get me out the front door.  I had a 45min window to either procrastinate or get outside and get in a workout... it wasn't a great run but I focused on the fact I did get it out when I really wasn't feeling the jam to run.

Sunday Carter woke up with full-on flu.  So I missed the PACE run that morning and snuggle up at home with him.  My Mom ended up coming over in the afternoon and took a "snuggle shift" so I could get my run in and I ended up seeing Karen Christie out with the doodles.  So we had a great 2hr run together.  I can tell you that I wouldn't have stayed out that long had it not been for the company.

So aside from feeling less than spunky this week and poor Carter getting the flu, I hit my training targets of and I ended up improvising this meatball recipe from a new cookbook I got for Christmas... they were awesome!!!


Italian Meatballs
1/2 lb of lean ground beef and ground turkey mixed (I mixed them although recipe calls for just beef)
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup of bread crumbs (I used Panko japanese style)
1/2 cup of fresh grated parm cheese
1 tbsp fresh basil (or to taste)
1 tbsp fresh parsley
1 clove of garlic
1/4 cup of dehydrated onion (I used dried onion soup mix)
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Broil on baking sheet lined with tin foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
Gently combine all ingredients and roll into meatballs and place on prepared baking sheet
Broil for 7-10min or until they become brown and fragrant.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment