Sunday, February 5, 2012

Bummed Out ~ Lessons in Setbacks

Last weekend my son was sick with the flu.  So naturally, instead of the PACE run, I stayed home on Sunday to take care and snuggle up with him.  That was an easy one for me... being a Mom comes before being a Coach. :)  This weekend, I have been battling a very random (and very painful) upper back and neck injury.  It started on Friday morning and just felt stiff, like I slept wrong on it.  Friday night I hardly slept and Trent had to help me up on the middle of the night to even use the washroom.  So again, naturally, I took Saturday off and put my training session to the side so I could focus on the PACE run the next day.  I did hot/cold contrasts.  Used a lacrosse ball to roll any tender and sore spots on my back/neck while standing up-right against the wall.  Had Epsom salt bath.  Even took some prescription ibuprofen.  By last night I was actually able to ly down and roll in supine position.  I thought it was getting better and went to bed optimistic.

2hrs later I woke up in pain again and this continued all night.  On and off, not being able to get comfortable or lift my head off the pillow.  I finally sent the PACE team a text at 4am, letting go of the fact that I would not be able to join everyone again this Saturday.  I felt frustrated and pissed off.  Mostly because I don't want to let anyone down who signs up for a clinic and/or who I am coaching.  I also have strong values in that I need to walk the walk, as a coach, in order for my athletes to learn and trust me.  So not getting out there with them to support them really bothered me.  Then I realized that my staying home IS walking the walk.  And that listening to my body is exactly what I ask each and every one of my athletes to do.  And if their back/neck felt as mine did - I wouldn't hesitate in prescribing rest, other alternatives and be the first to rearrange their training schedule to account for this setback.  I get that we need to feel reassurance that moving forward, any missed session wouldn't be the end of the world. 

At the end of the day, I see the lesson for me as a coach: to continue to walk the walk and that sometimes will mean you walk alone and not be out with your athletes.  As an athlete: to accept the things I cannot change and focus on getting better.  The sooner I take care of things, the sooner I get back in the game with everyone.

It doesn't mean I am still not looking out my window at the two t's this morning and wondering how everyone is doing or missing the company and camaraderie.  I trust that everyone is also learning their intended lesson in training today and taking them one step closer to their goals...

No comments:

Post a Comment