Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Purpose Behind 25

I hit the road for a 25min road run yesterday.  Yep, exactly... 25min isn't going to cut in for the Alps, so why did I bother!?  Well, let me tell you...

I am trying to set the habit of a 5th day of running as I build conservatively towards the race in September.  So today wasn't about speed.  It wasn't about endurance.  It wasn't about anything more than starting to create the habit... mostly mentally.  Getting my mind wrapped around running 5 days a week and gaining focus.

I was humming and hawing about even going, so the fact I put foot to pavement meant that my mission was accomplished and now I could move on to the bigger workouts of the week!

For anyone out there who only has 20-40min and doesn't bother 'running' or 'exercising' because they don't think it's long enough - you might be shooting yourself in the foot.  Habits are created by taking action and seeing things through.  Sometimes the duration is less important and just following through will carry over into future fitness habits and success.  Or for those of you who are sedentary, starting with 20min will get you out the door and you may be surprised that you want to stay out longer, once YOU put foot to pavement!

No comments:

Post a Comment