Sunday, March 17, 2013

Playlists for Running

I grew up in a very musical family. My Mom was born into a family of Ten with 5 sisters and 4 brothers who, in total, produced over 23 children who would make up my first cousins.   There were always guitars, harmonicas or banjo's playing and my aunts and uncles were always singing to classics like Rocky Top Tennessee. And if you married into the Kunz family, you too would soon find yourself tapping your toes, learning to strum or firing up the ol' vocal cords.




One of my fondest memories was when my Grandmother would yodel or sitting with some of my cousins and singing to some Dixie Chicks songs.  I learned to play guitar in grade 7 and grew up thinking that everyone listened to artists like George Straight, Randy Travis and Dwight Yokam.  Yes, my family was primarily born country.

My Grandparents

Now a days, I have certainly branched out of the country genre I was raised with and my husband largely influenced my love for some of the artists in my playlists below. Having an 11yr old also keeps me up-to-date with some of the new artists and top charts, although my son has an old soul and some of his favorites are by the Clash, Neil Young and The Doors. 

this photo has nothing to do with music but it is a great shot of Carter on top of Abbot Ridge in Rogers Pass!

LSD (long steady distance) Runs

For these runs I usually choose music that is a little more funky, has some interesting and motivating lyrics but isn't too fast. I look for songs that that won't get me too excited in terms of fast beats or else I find I start to pick up my pace and blow the easy steady effort.  If these are too slow for you to run to - I still suggest downloading some of your favorites for your aprés run vino or for your next dinner party :)

Harvest Moon - Poolside
Amen Omen - Ben Harper
Blessed to be a Witness - Ben Harper
She's Only Happy In The Sun - Ben Harper
Inner Ninja (feat. David Myles)
Beg steal or Borrow - Ray Lamontagne and the Pariah Dogs
Devil's In the Jukebox -Ray Lamontagne
For the Summer - Ray Lamontagne
Old Before Your Time - Ray Lamontagne
Pulling on a Line - Great Lake Swimmers
Your Rocky Spine - Great Lake Swimmers
No Woman No Cry - Xavier Rudd
Mountain Sound - Of Monsters and Men
Little Talks - Of Monsters and Men
Wagon Wheel - Old Crow Medicine Show
The Cave - Mumford & Sons
Little Lion Man - Mumford & Sons
Loving You Tonight - Andrew Allen
Bobcaygeon - The Tragically Hip
The A Team - Ed Sheeran
Bruises - Train
50 Ways to Say Goodbye - Train
Payphone - Maroon 5
Still Want You - Jim Cuddy

Hope you find a song or two that you can add to your running collection!  Post some of your favorites, as I am always looking for new music ideas!  Thanks for reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment